RADiCAL LIVE Omniverse Connector
Date: 20 July 2022
A. Start RADiCAL’s simulation data stream
1. From RADiCAL’s download page, download and extract the RADiCAL_Connector_package. Inside you will see: (a) a folder containing the RADiCAL_Connector, and (b) a .usd file (RadicalCharOmni.usd), which contains the RADiCAL’s standard character for testing.
2. From within your web browser, visit RADiCAL’s single player simulation stream (https://getrad.co/live/simulation-single).
3. Choose Audience, then click the Enter Room button (opens a new tab).
4. Click Connect.
B. Set up Omniverse and the RADiCAL Live Connector
1. Install and launch Omniverse Launcher.
2. From the Exchange tab, search and download/install Omniverse Create app (once installed, it should show up in your Library tab, in the left side panel).
3. In the Nucleus tab, install a Local Nucleus Service. You will be requested to create an account to access it. Among other information, you will be requested to add a username (<nucleus_username>) that will be used in the following steps.
4. Once your Local Nucleus Service is installed, log in using your credentials, and browse to localhost\Users\<nucleus_username>\. Drag and drop the RadicalCharOmni.usd file into that folder and click Upload once you are asked. You should now be able to see the file correctly uploaded to your Nucleus Server.
5. Launch the Create app (installed at step 2). At the bottom of the Create interface, in the Content section, browse to Omniverse\localhost\Users\<nucleus_username>\. If step 4 was executed correctly, you will see in this folder the RadicalCharOmni.usd file you just uploaded Nucleus. In fact, this is another way you can upload files to your Nucleus Server (i.e., from the Create app).
6. Double click the file to open it in the Viewport (do not simply drag and drop it into the Viewport). You will now see the RADiCAL character in the Viewport.
Note that, if you want to view the Skeleton under the mesh, you might need to enable it from the top menus.
7. Select the Layer tab in the right side panel, and click the grey cloud next to “Root Layer” to enable Live Sync. The cloud should turn green and you should be able to see “LIVE SYNC: ON” at the top right corner of the screen.
8. Launch Windows File Explorer and navigate to the RADiCAL_Connector folder. Open a terminal window from that location, by clicking on “Open Window Powershell” from the File menu.
9. You are now in your “terminal” that shows you’re inside the RADiCAL_Connector folder.
Type the following command:
.\RadicalOmniConnector.exe --serverUrl <server_url> --roomId <room_id> --authToken <authentication_token> --playerId <player_id> --useromni <user_omniverse> --filename RadicalCharOmni.usd
In this command line, replace:
<server_url>with the Websocket URL, which you will find on the simulation stream page under 3D Integrations
<room_id>with the Room ID, which you will find on the simulation stream page under 3D Integrations
<authentication_token>with your Account Key, which you can generate through Settings > Account Key (https://getrad.co/my-account/account-key-page/)
<user_omniverse>with your Nucleus username (the same name you chose in Step 3)
<player_id>with the Player ID, which you can find inside the simulation stream: open the editor (the layer icon) from lower bar menu, then click on the character. The Player ID will be revealed in the bottom left corner above the Room ID
Click Enter. The RADiCAL Connector will start.
Go back to Omniverse Create where you will now see the RADiCAL character being animated by the simulated animation data stream.
1. If your mesh is not moving. If you see the skeleton moving, but the mesh not moving with it, try this solution:
(a) Double-click the usd file in the bottom panel. This will re-open the scene.
(b) Now click again on the Live Sync grey cloud in the right panel to enable it again. It should now be green again. You should now be able to see the mesh updating together with the skeleton.